For more widgets please visit www.yourminis.com

Sunday, December 16, 2007

A Taste of Filipino Culture

I must say that the Filipino culture is one of a kind. Despite how the media would portray the people from developing countries, the people there are far from being backward. In fact, a majority is very much “Americanized” but still retain a distinct pride for their Asian and for some, indigenous heritage. Unlike the Malaysian “tidak apa” (don’t care) attitude, the Filipinos are a brave bunch of fighters who are active in asserting their rights and believes especially the indigenous peoples rights (particularly in the Cordillera region where we were). Although some may be living under grim situation due to political unrest and poverty, they always exude such positive energy and show their passion to bring change.

Baguio is like an old town in Malaysia with very few high-rise buildings, with shops at a convenient distance. We lived on Session Road, the main street of Baguio which can get pretty crowded during peak hours.


I observed that security can be pretty tight in Baguio, in response to the political unrest and terrorism. Before we entered SM Mall, our bags and bodies were briefly checked and even places such as 7 Eleven and McDonald’s would have armed security guards present. For me, I find it as a good sign and it made me feel safe during the stay. In Baguio, we were approached by many locals and police officers that would advise us to be careful with pickpockets, although none of us were victims; I really appreciated the efforts and kind advice from the locals.


In addition, the people in the Philippines are exceptionally polite to the point that makes me feel undeserving or pampered. Especially when people would greet you “Mam” (Madame) or “Sir” constantly and greet you with such warmth and offering great assistance. Similarly in the Filipino language, deference is showed by calling elder people “Manong” (similar to Uncle) and “Manang” (Auntie) while among younger groups its “Kuya” (big brother) or “Ate” (elder sister).

In between our stay in Baguio, we went high up in the mountainous Cordillera region of Sagada. The indigenous community that resides in Sagada are mainly Kankana-ey and they are largely Anglicans and some practise paganism.

The local lifestyle in Sagada moves at a slower pace which I totally understand since the scenery and nature there is so breathtaking that one must just pause for a moment to just embrace nature’s beauty. Being a city kid, I was entirely captivated by Sagada. Everything excited me and call for my appreciation, the cool breeze, the sunshine, the rainbows, walking barefoot and the feel of fresh earth on my feet, waterfalls, meadows, rice terrains, rolling hills or even the sunflowers that grow in such abundance.

Nonetheless, nothing captivates me more than the people. The children are adorable and have such sparkling eyes and cheeky smiles. I saw many of us having a great time interacting with and giving candies to them. At night, we sat around bonfires to warm ourselves. Bonfire gatherings are one of the common bonding sessions of the indigenous culture where they sing and dance to their traditional songs or to country music which they have adapted from the Americans.

Interacting with the indigenous people was a really precious and learning experience to me. I must say I was dumbstruck at how Westernised some indigenous people are, I felt like I was in cowboy-land instead. It took me some time to register when some would speak to me with a thick American accent, and occasionally and naturally, the common American vocab: the F word would come up, now that is what I call culture shock. I got to witness the workings of globalization where there cultures are no longer seen as authentic and yet can still remain untainted by modernity.

Generally, the local people are a great joy to be with. It is hard not to fall in love with the Philipines and I can only say “I love Baguio and Sagada”, mahal kita and laylaydeksika (I love you in Tagalog and the Igorot dialect).

By Eunice

5 comments:

Nesreen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paul Kekai Manansala said...

Nice article and also nice comment from Nesreen. The Mountain Province is a magical place.

Filipino Woman said...

The Article is indeed very informative.

Nesreen, you did post a great comment.

Filipino girls said...

Interesting post. Nice embrace of Filipino Culture .

Philippines women said...

the Philippines have a real rich culture, I can invite everybody to explore it. You'll not regret.

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks